Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Healthy Relationship

You're going to love what I did with that title .. I just know it. I'm sure you guessed it I am NOT in a relationship.. ha ha jokes on you if you thought I was.. but I am in a predicament with my health. My whole life as long as I could remember I have had an extremely abusive relationship with food. We hit each other.. metaphorically speaking.. I have always used food as a coping mechanism, an exterior block, a wall, a security blanket.. and in return food has very warmly welcomed me in, kept me warm, and has given me lots and lots of fat. YAAAAAAY... that's a fair trade right?? WRONG! I have never found a way to correctly have a relationship with food.. because that is what it is.. everyone has a relationship with it, you may not be thinking about it but its true. You have to consciously choose 'am I going to eat lucky charms for breakfast or am I going to eat the bran?" lucky charms says " come here baby, I am happy and lucky and I even come with a pretty little leprechaun on me" and most of the time I would be like " leprechaun??!! HECK YES!" and would never even listen to what the bran had to offer.. healthy heart, a great start to the day, healthy weight. And you know something as simple as eating healthy and being healthy can completely change your life. If I had eaten healthy my whole life I can guarantee that I would not look the way I look today.. and who's to say that I wouldn't be a completely different person if I looked different. Would I act different? Would I think different? Would I be different? Would I have different friends? I think the answer to all of those questions is .. yes. I would be different. NOW NOW listen to me. I wouldn't change who I am for the WORLD. I love my friends, and my life, the way I think, the way I act.. sometimes.. BUT I also believe the lifestyle that I live is hindering me in progressing. THEREFORE ( big fancy word means big fancy transition) I am trying to change my life. I can't honestly tell you a time in my life when I haven't been dieting. I was dieting  in elementary school and that is so sad. I should have been running around playing with my friends but instead I was caught up in my emotional relationship with food. But I am drawing the line no more missing out because of the way my relationship has been, I am no longer going to have an abusive relationship but rather a healthy relationship with food. I am trying to choose the foods that benefit ME rather than my tongue. I am trying to choose foods that will help me in the long run rather than seasonal satisfaction, and I am trying to change my lifestyle so that I can be healthy, be given more opportunities, and can feel good about myself. I will be updating you on this journey and I know already this is NOT going to be easy, but I am not letting myself quit this time. This is the end of the line. 

1 comment:

  1. Good job Rachel! but a BIG OLE SLAB of cheesecake is always good! =) "THE SRUGGLE!!" YOU CAN DO IT!!! hahahaha the hardest part of the year for me is Thanksgiving through Christmas because EVERYONE starts baking and cooking all these delicious treats and foods that are only there during that one short time period. I am so proud of you though!

    ReplyDelete